Tuesday, July 6, 2010

40 Toothpicks and Counting

Allow me to introduce you to some of my amazing family…some extended family that lives on the other side of the world; the Dennis’. These fine folk are exactly that – amazing; and the best part is that they’re coming HERE – to Canada – to visit us :D

Let’s start with Jen. A wonderful mom, sister & aunt. Jen’s the one with the radiant smile and laugh that truly brightens a room. She’s down to earth, funny, soooo easy to get along with and hospitable. She can speak pig Latin like it’s her mother tongue and actually have conversations with my Dad (for hours, if we let them!). She used to have a lion cub as a pet for a little bit (maybe she was babysitting it). Some days I wish I could go back and see what it was like to be her at a young age, with my Dad and uncle Andrew as big brothers. I’m sure she was picked on like none other, but I have no doubt she was also her Daddy’s little girl, AND was able to hold her own. Sometimes my mom can see Jen in the expressions I have…which I love hearing; makes me feel like I have a piece of her in me.

Then there’s Kev. A great father, brother and uncle. My fondest memories of Kev will always include his mischievous grin, like he was planning something; or perhaps wanting to build something, fix something, redesign something. He was always thinking! Last year when I went back with Logan to visit, he still called me by the nickname he gave me when I was little girl: Cha-nin. Not ‘Sh’, but ‘Ch’. I loved it; I loved being called that. It was like a little connection between my uncle and me that was just us. He always seemed like a stable guy; the kind that would give wise advice but only if you asked for it. The kind of guy that would let you do your own thing until you messed up – but he wouldn’t belittle you because of it. Now granted I was never ‘parented’ by him, but I would imagine that he’d be that kind of a Dad. Just…solid. Present. Loving.

Then there’s Greg. Or Gregorius. Or Greg Shawn. Or just Gregory Shawn Dennis(!) when Jen is mad at him. Greg is the cousin that is closest to me in age – he just turned 22. I think being close in age, we got along pretty well; often playing Cops & Robbers around their house and our backyards. Greg has a gentle soul in the inside and peaceful personality. He’s incredibly likeable, and I really mean that – everyone likes him (at least from what I’ve observed). He’s like your all-around good guy; always playing sports and sticking up for others. He’s even nice(ish) to his sister! We had a blast as kids and we’d usually see each other every weekend or so. I still remember watching/hearing the summer storms roll in and smelling the air, even as we continued to play outside; tag, hide-and-go-seek, treehouse…whatever it was – we were in our own little worlds and having fun. I am most saddened to be writing this, but Greg actually can’t make the trip out here with the rest of his family. He’s got a job and responsibilities that he can’t get out of unfortunately…but I of course included him in this post because he’s a member of the Dennis’!


And finally we have Haylee Girl. Or Haylee Paulina as my Dad calls her. Haylee was born just two years before we left to come to Canada, and she’s now 17. Good Lord! From what I recall about her at the age of 2, she was literally a bundle of joy (as per the picture below). Always moving, always wanting to sit on your lap or hug you or play Barbies – and by play I mean walk around the house dragging the poor doll by its hair. She also always wanted to be a part of the games Greg, Gareth & I played but alas – a two year old can’t quite hold their own in the games we played, hah. She was an adorable little thing, and still is to this day. She’s grown into an amazing young woman while vocal pipes like none other. She can act, sing and dance (I think) – what they like to call a ‘triple threat’. She’s my only girl cousin on my Dad’s side so needless to say I have this small protective nature thing going on when I get updates about her. She’s all grown up now (tear)…


So, there you have the Dennis’ – and three out of four will be landing at YVR in 40 days. I. CAN’T. WAIT. In my family we have a tradition for counting things down, by putting toothpicks in a potato and taking one out every day.

So here’s to 40 toothpicks and counting…

1 comment: