Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Time Needs to Change

Half an hour left to go in my work day; the wind is howling outside, the rain is coming down hard and it’s getting darker by the minute…yup, tonight’s going to be a good night.

For you see, tonight, I plan to do nothing at all. Well not nothing exactly (can you just imagine me sitting on the couch staring at my knees all night? Haha, yea right!). I’ve been looking forward to a night like this for a while now. One where I can catch up on laundry, catch up on reading, catch up on sleep, catch up on little projects, catch up on solitude and silence. I hate the idea of having to play catch up, but when I get the rare opportunity to do so, I embrace it.

Who knew that at my age I’d be yearning for nights at home doing laundry?? Who knew I’d be asking for MORE time in a day, or MORE time in a week? I’ve really been looking at time as something to beat; an enemy if you will. And yet that’s not what God created time to be. Surely time is meant to be used wisely and effectively and productively; and not productively in the sense that you constantly have to be busy ‘doing’ something, but in the sense that you’re doing the ‘right’ things.

Have I been doing the ‘right’ things lately? I really think I have been…and yet why am I constantly trying to beat time and get more out of it? Just 5 more minutes here, just 30 more minutes there…technically, am I abusing time if there is such a thing? I’m certainly not using it as wisely, effectively or productively as I should, but I still manage to get things done somehow. I think abusing time like that works to an extent, but it comes with 4 big consequences: tired body, tired mind, tired heart & tired soul.

The Lord wants our beings to be fresh, awake, rejuvenated, rested and yet also ready for whatever He calls us to. Yes, He can provide energy and supernatural abilities to get things done, but surely He’s not a fan of laziness and ineffectiveness?

I see some ch-ch-ch-ch changes coming along to my ol’ friend Time. Get ready, Time, get ready.

1 comment: